When my colleague RaPa said that he would join the trek with his family I was not sure due to the fact that the junior most member of the family was three year old cute Radha, but when Team FONA is there Impossible things become Possible 🙂 our trek leaders Mandar, Manoj and Nikalje, team effort made it happen !
I would say this was a major highlight of Sarasgad trek 🙂
Sarasgad trek is good option for persons doing say second or third trek who has started from the base level and forts like Lohagad.
This trek shall improve in your stamina, although the reward of reaching the top will not be panoramic views, still the steep steps (2 feet height) demonstrates you capability to climb in a stretch !
Fort is still in good shape, remains give you satisfaction of spending by Raje Shivaji of ~2000 hones that time. fortunately it is almost clean caves, clean water.
On the way back we could visit Umber khind, wherein Pillar telling story of Raje Shivaji battle has been written of.
Sarasgad is also called Pagadicha killa because its shape resembles Puneri Pagadi. Sarasgad trek (near Pali)
Sarasgad fort is located in a village near Pali, just near to the famous Ganesha temple [Ashtavinayak Ganpati, Shri Ballaleshwar Ashtavinayak]
Sarasgad fort history
Sarasgad is also called Pagadicha killa because its resemblance to the shape of Puneri Pagadi. Sarasgad in one of the twin fort of Sudhagad
Sarasgad fort can be easily identified by its four pinnacles and was used as a watch place to keep an eye on the surrounding region and hence of great importance.
Sri Shivaji Maharaj brought this fort under Hindavi Swarajya and reconstructed it spending 2000 hones (Golden coin currency during Shivaji Maharaj’s time).
There are two approach roads to the top of the fort
- From North : This path is easy and has gradual inclination. While you reach the fort top, you will see interesting huge rock steps,they are 111 numbers I am sure you will enjoy them. The door from this side is known as ‘Dindi darvaja’.
- From South : Use this for descending down, the path leads down @ a kilometer away from village Pali.
There are many caves available just near the top, it is said that these were used for soldiers. You will also find around ten cisterns carved in rocks, supplying cool water supply throughout the year.
You will be able to camp in this location, for other purposes you may want to use the water !
Sarasgad trek Difficulty level
- Beginner to Medium [Steep trail on most parts. Few stretches of flat walks.]
- Height : 1,608 feet above sea level
- Time taken: 2 to 2.5 hours ( GPS track shows 1.7 kms from road to the top, steps to the fort is the thing to experience)
- Terrain: Forest, plateau, pastures and rocky patches
- Water sources: None. Carry at least 2 liters of water per person
How to reach fort trail from the parking location?
- From parking look for the narrow 6 feet wide cemented road, which is not for vehicles but only for walking.
- Continue walking till you see a muddy trail on the right, here you will see tall bushes (5 feet), continue walking
- Follow the trail through this small bush forest. The trail is moderate to very steep.
- In hald an hour you will reach the open grassland region. Walk till you see the Steep steps.
- while descending down we could get another way where you avoid large steps and get down @ a kilometer away from village Pali , nothing great as such to get down this way, but just as an experience u
Best time to visit
What to see !
- Views of Tin Kavdi (see photo)
- View tail baila (can be easily seen if u get sunlight)
- Kedareshwar temple (see photo)
- Small lake behind Kedareshwar temple (seee photo)
- View Pali village and river Amba (see photo)
- Once you reach first stage after the steps, you can see water cisters and Shiv linga in the cave
Place to stay/take food & water
and stay – You have to carry food on your own,and can get space to stay at the fort (see photograph) place is comparatively clean !
How to reach
By Road :
- Pune to Pali Astavinayak temple is well known route.
- Once you reach Pali, you get direct view of this fort.
By Bus : Bus Time Table
- Karjat to Pali Bus
- Bus timings : 6, 6.45, 7.15, 8, 9.15, 13, 16.30, 17.30 via Khopoli
Parking space for Bus, Car, Bikes near Sarasgad
You can park you bus, car, bike in the free parking place provided by Ballaleshwar Devasthan Trust, which is easily accessible and safe
- Use proper trekking gears for this trek [Read guide on Selecting Best Trekking Shoes in India]
Recommended reference reading –
One day trek in Sahaydri mountain ranges – Do’s and Don’t, Things to carry list