Andharban Trek is one of the most beautiful & fascinating monsoon trek among Pune & Mumbai trekkers. This trek is simple [but hectic at descend] trail of around 13 kilometers passing through dense forest walking on the valley edges running parallel to the famous Tamhini ghat … overlooking the waters of Kundalika river and numerous waterfalls … Wearing proper trekking shoes is a must for this trek.
Andhar [अंधार] in Marathi means Darkness and Ban [बन] means jungle, so Andharban [अंधारबन] means The Dark Forest where you will feel darkness during daytime 🙂 you can call it as Dark Forest !
You begin the Andharban trek from Pimpri dam in during the daylight .. and once you enter the Andharban, you can immediately fell the darkness of the day …. You get into the dense part of the forest, and in between get some clear patches of sky, giving you the magical sensation … well the mist during monsoon adds to the flavor of darkness !
The trek ends at the Bhira dam which is the source of the Kundalika river.
[ Kundalika river is most famous for White Water Rafting ]
- The trail is through dark forest without any ups and downs, last descend is critical.
- Caution to be taken since trek path moves from the valley sides without any protection
- Read the guide on Things to carry for Andharban trek
Time to reach
Best Time to visit :
What to see !
- Beautiful views of Bhira dam backwaters
- Independence point [Look at the photograph at beginning of this blog-post]
- Kundalika valley views
- Crossing the streams and enjoying natural bath
- Waterfalls across (only during monsoon trek)
- Plus valley
- Ghangad, Tailbaila, Sarasgad
Place to stay/take food & water
Andharban Trek Start point location :
How to reach Andharban trek from Pune ?
Drive down :
- Pune > Piranghut > Mulshi > Tamhini ghat > Pimpri
[See video which shows where to take turn from Tamhini road]
ST Bus Route :
- Lonavala to Bhaburde village by ST bus [40 kilometers]
- Bhaburde to Pimpri village, walk or get lift [13.6 kilometers]
- Andharban trek is a one way trail, hence be ready to walk till the end, start early so that you can exit the trail before its too dark.
- Better to have experienced guide with knowledge of snakes & insects
- Must wear proper trekking gears during monsoon season, trek looks simple but has risk of valleys alongside
- Here is a good guide on Which are the best trekking shoes for Sahyadri mountain ranges ?
I did my first Video blog after Andharban Monsoon trek, do watch it and provide me suggestions and comments for further improvements. This will help trekkers to get idea on difficulty level of trek as well as what they can enjoy 🙂
Blog was written when I did trek in March .. Now the Video of Andharban trek prepared in Monsoon … just look at the difference … Lush green surroundings with numerous waterfalls and mist 🙂 Wow !!
You can also plan trek to Ghangad which is just nearby Andharban location, where you can do camping and fun.
Andharban Trail begins at Pimpri dam (Google coordinates 18.510341, 73.417509)
Immediately after end of Pimpri dam, you will get to see electric towers from where the trail continues to Independence point
And the trail continues to independence point along the valley sides
If you look from a distance you will see valley-side trail something like this (look at tiny trekkers)
After crossing the waterfall (which was dry during January !) you will begin with dark forest trail
No water so we just rested inside the dry waterfall … photograph below just provides you size of waterfall … I am sure you will enjoy it during monsoon season (Which I am planning anyway this June)
Finally you enter inside the Dark Forest Trek …. This trail continues till the Bhira dam …