Its located on the Shingnapur hills, near Satara city.
Shikhar shingnapur is place of Lord Shiva and presence of that is felt from just few kms before wherein Gupt Linga is situated, you can see water flowing 24×7 for 12 months from this place. It is said that Lord Shiva and Lord mata Parvati got married at this place on Chaitra Shuddha Astami.
It is said that Shri Shivaji maharaj family used to visit this temple very often.
This 400 years old ancient temple has beautiful carvings of deities and gods over the temple structure, also beautiful Deepmala (light towers) you will see in the temple premises.
Shikhar Shingnapur [Gupt Linga & Motha Mahadev]
There are two tirtha kunda present here
Now you can move on to the main temple where you shall encounter Jijau ves which is entrance door to the temple (built by Chatrapati Raje Shivaji Maharaj) followed by Shedge daravaja (door)
(other method is directly drive in till the top and no need to climb ~150 stairs 🙂
From the top of mountain you get nice view of waterbody of beautiful lake called as Pushkaraj Talav build by Raje Maloji
While you roam around the temple you will see huge bell showing year 1720 made out of metal
This temple is also called as Dakshin Kailash due to presence of many Shivlingas in the temple.
Now if you decide to climb to this temple from the foothill by climbing steps, then do not forget to visit the holy Pushkartirth tirtha (tank) (build by Shri Shivaji Maharaj) and Ganesha temple.
You may like also to visit nearby Amruteshwar temple (built in old stone method), wherein you can see rotatable stone pillars !
Shikhar shingnapur yatra
- Gudhi padva (chaitra shuddha pratipada) – lasts for 12 days
- Maha Shivratri – lasts for 5 days
- Every Amavasya
- During the the months of March & April, Traditional fair as called as “Jatra” in Marathi is held here. Devotees will bring water in Kawad till the temple via Mungi ghaat. Kawad is a container which hold water, which is brought to give holy bath toe Shivlinga.
Shikhar shingnapur temple timings
- 6 am, Kakad aarti
- 12 noon,daily aarti
- 8 pm, Sanj aarti (temple closes)
- 9 pm, Shej aarti
How to I reach Shikhar shingnapur
Mumbia to Shikhar Shingnapur
Mumbai – Lonavala – Pune – Saswad – Jejuri – Neera – Phaltan – Shikhar shingnapur
Satara to Shikhar Shingnapur
Satara – Dahivadi – Shikha shingnapur
- Distances 153 kms from Pune, 41 kms from Phaltan and 84 kms from Pandharpur
Nearby places of interest
- Shri Bramha Chaitanya Gondavalekar Maharaj Samadhi (~25 kms)
- Shri Kshetra Gupt Linga (~3 km)
- Siddha Nath (Mhaswad) (~40kms)
- Satara (~70 kms)
- Jejuri (~100 kms)
- Pandharpur (~100kms)
- Sevagiri maharaj (Pusegav) ~50 kms
Where to stay
MTDC rooms available
||Shri Shambhu Mahadeva Prasanna ||