This was my second renewal of passport (20 years completed since first passport issued) … So just wanted to share my experience of improvements I was expecting as against my previous experiences …
First good thing about the passport application process is that you can fill the passport application on-line which is quite hassle free. You can read instructions carefully and fill-in details,pay on-line and finally get an appointment (you get choice of 5 days slot to get an appointment).
Documents to be submitted are dependent upon renewal, fresh application, name change, address change etc. you get detailed information on required documents on official website of Govt of India Passport office.
So I filled in on-line application, fixed the appointment (I selected last day of choices given to me, by which I got morning 8.30 am appointment, if you select first or second day offered then chances are there that you get appointment in afternoon or evening)
I opted for the internet updates by paying extra 40 Rs which helps getting quick updates from passport seva kendra (remember these 40 Rs you have to pay in cash during your visit at counter A – and keep change ready !! needless to say why ?)
I Reached passport office well in time
I reached the Pune passport office by ~8 am (my reporting time was 8.30 am) and found that there is already a queue in front of main gate (which was locked and no security was present ! as expected)
Look at the queue below at 8 am where all people with all appointment time were standing like mad !! Since no one was there to guide what to do. Many people were asking each other about the appointment timing and what to do etc but no one was present to guide.
By 8.40 am the line grew like anything !!! Still no security or official representative from passport office was there to guide the crowd (as expected)
At ~8.40 am two security appeared from somewhere and started shouting that people with reporting time of 8.30 am shall be in one line and people having 8.45 am reporting time shall form another line. When few people who were present for reporting time of 9 am, they shouted them to be away and get back at 9 am !!
I was stunned by the way they spoke (like a king) if they would have been in private company, I could have kicked their a$$ ….
Anyway I went into line of 8.30 am … They checked the appointment letter & ID proof (PAN card) … around 10 people were sitting outside below stairs at entrance ! when I asked who has told to wait here .. no one was aware !! so I directly went inside and people followed me 😛
Note : Only a person with appointment can go inside, no additional person allowed unless he is senior citizen or disabled person
There security were generally checking each person (it was similar to one they do at Malls in Pune)
Process once you enter the passport office
Now you see about 5 counters where your documents will be checked and confirmed w.r.t original papers, once you show your papers (xerox of all required documents) then you get ticket with token number and you can proceed to counter A.
There is automatic entry system like the one present in foreign countries at railway station (show the ticket and it rotates) which was not working, so they opened alternate door from where I entered and awaited for my tern. There is a TV display where you can see your token number and table number.
From here you proceed to counter A where
- You will be photographed
- Your finger prints will be taken
- Your documents will be verified again and scanned (please do not forget to sign all xerox copies before you go to counter A, the lady may send you back ! Also sign at the mid of document and not bottom, since your signature has to appear in scanned document)
- Pay 40 Rs in cash (if you have opted for SMS pack)
- Proceed to counter B (wait for your turn)
- Your documents will be verified again at micro level, checking address, name, entered details etc. w.r.t original documents and previous passport
- You will be sent to counter C
- Again the documents will be seen and your old passport will be stamped as cancelled here, if no issues the process ends here (as seen on many review websites here the officers are slightly arrogant – I also experienced the same) (btw official notice is displayed warning you to behave properly with government officers and you are liable to get imprisonment ! but what about tax payers like me paying lacs of rupees and getting such treatment !!! can’t help)
After counter C, before you exit, you have to show token slip and things are done 🙂
All the process once I entered the office took around 1 hour. So compared to my previous experience 10 years back this was much better experience I would say. Only main difference is that the behaviour 10 years back was much descent from government officers !
Police verification for passport
- 20 years back when I got my fresh passport, police person came to my house and charged 200 Rs as fees !! Chai pani in local language (tea and water money)
- 10 years back situation has improved !! Nigdi police station person called me with papers. I went with all original and xerox papers. After checking he charged 500 Rs as his office fees (chai pani). There was a lady with me and she refused to pay chai pani fees, surprisingly in front of me the police officer told her that he will not clear her papers showing any small reason and make sure that she will have to come two three times again to office !!
- Now this time I have to goto Chinchwad police station and will update on chai pani fees (which might have increased by now !!)
Well .. Cheers !! and all the best …..
If you find any improvements in future do let me know 🙂 or wait till next 10 years to get update from me ! ha ! ha !!